English: The ability to get health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace has not changed. But one very important thing that has changed, and several other important things to remember:
- Don’t wait! There are only 45 days to get enrolled in health insurance. Open enrollment begins November 1, 2017, and ends December 15, 2017 for your 2018 coverage, which will start January 1, 2018. Do not delay in choosing a plan once open enrollment starts on November 1.
- If your income is between 100% and 400% of the 2016 Federal Poverty Level you will qualify for a premium tax credit. The lower your income, the larger the tax credit, which means your monthly premium, will be lower. For a single person, that is income between $11,880 and $47,520. For a family of four, that is income between $24,300 and $97,200.
- If your income changes during the year and you no longer qualify for the credits when you file your taxes, you will have to repay.
- The tax penalty for not having health insurance for the year 2017 is 2.5% of household income or $695 per adult in the household without insurance, whichever is higher. To avoid paying this penalty for 2018, sign up for health insurance.
- If you currently have health insurance, you should still compare current plans and make sure that your doctors’ offices take your insurance.
Berks Community Health Center offers FREE help with the Health Insurance Marketplace to the public. Call (484)772-4080 to make an appointment with a certified insurance navigator.Jen Bauman, Outreach Manager, Berks Community Health Center